Because I'm Avoiding Work
I'll do a meme I found over at CubbieGirl
1. What did you do in 2006 that you’d never done before?
Had a baby.
2. Did you keep your new year’s resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
I don't generally make them. Why set myself up for disappointment? If I need change in my life, the opportunity to start that change comes at random points in the year so I just try to take those as they come.
3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
Yes. Me. And it hurt.
4. Did anyone close to you die?
5. What countries did you visit?
No international travel for me this year.
6. What would you like to have in 2007 that you lacked in 2006?
A breast pump that's packed away until we decide to either have a second baby. Or not, in which case we give the fucking thing away.
7. What dates from 2006 will remain etched upon your memory and why?
5/16. Because Val was born. To be fair, 5/15, the Day Of Ridiculously Painful Labor also stands out as a day I'd never like to relive.
Late June, I saw my best friend from high school for the first time in 15 years. It was awesome, just awesome.
12/23: Val crawled for the first time.
8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
Giving birth and successful breastfeeding afterwards.
9. What was your biggest failure?
You might argue that it was needing a c-section after all that labor. But I don't consider that a failure so I have nothing for this one.
10. Did you suffer from illness or injury?
Not really, save the giving birth that's becoming a theme here.
11. What was the best thing you bought?
2 hockey seasons.
12. Whose behavior merited celebration?
AndreaTan, who stood by me through that awful labor business, who took care of our baby when she was first born because I couldn't yet and who is the excellent parent I always knew she would be.
Honorable mention to Susan, whose presence at Val's birth and afterwards as her beloved auntie and godmother we'll always be grateful for.
13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?
Our friends who randomly decided we weren't friends anymore. When Val was a few weeks old we saw them and they completely blew us off, didn't noticed Val at all. That still smarts.
14. Where did most your money go?
Baby-related products and services.
15. What did you get really, really, really excited about?
16. What song will always remind you of 2006?
Israel Kamakawiwoole singing Somewhere Over The Rainbow. I played this for Val in the car when she was but wee and it really calmed her down.
Also, Paul Oakenfold's Starry Eyed Surprise. I played this for Val every day while I was pregnant, hoping she'd hear it and recognize it. I'll be damned if it doesn't calm her down even now.
17. Compared to this time last year are you:
a. happier or sadder? Happier!
b. thinner or fatter? A shitload skinnier.
c. richer or poorer? About the same.
18. What do you wish you’d done more of?
19. What do you wish you’d done less of?
Bitching about other people.
20. How did you spend Christmas?
With Susan, Bill and the Girls, then later with my brother and even later with Ellaine. It was the most mellow, nice holiday I can remember.
21. Did you fall in love in 2006?
You betcha. Her name is Valerie Marta and she's the best thing that's ever happened to us.
22. How many one-night stands?
No way. My ass is married.
23. What was your favorite TV program?
24. Did you hate anyone now that you didn’t hate this time last year?
No time for hate, I'm busy with Val.
25. What was the best book you read?
26. What was your greatest musical discovery?
The theme to Elmo's World.
27. What did you want and get?
A beautiful baby girl.
28. What did you want and not get?
An unmedicated delivery of said baby girl.
29. What was your favorite film of this year?
Talladega Nights. Man that shit made me laugh.
30. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
I was rather pregnant and ridiculously tired. We just had a fairly benign dinner out.
31. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
32. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2006?
33. What kept you sane?
My sidekick. It let me stay connected to the 3 of you during the hard times of no sleep and screaming baby.
34. What celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?
Angelina Jolie. Because she's hot.
35. What political issue stirred you the most?
There were politics this year?
36. Who did you miss?
My Grandma. I'll always miss her. I miss Alice too, and the steady tap of Gus' feet.
37. Who was the best new person you met?
So easy. Valerie.
38. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2006.
Having a baby will Change Your Life.
39. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year.
From the Beastie Boys: I got a bedazzler so my outfit's tight.